The Wharf Buildings.

 

  


The Wharf was built in 1836 to 1838 as a loading point for goods transported down the canal.  It also acted as a "half way house" for barges travelling down the canal between Norbury Junction and Shrewsbury (no doubt the men called in the Sutherland Arms Inn for a pie and a pint).  It was owned by the Duke of Sutherland until canal transportation became obsolete.

Until the Wharf was bought by the S&N trust / T&W council in 2009, the Wharf was owned by a haulage firm, B J Waters Ltd, who took over the yard in the late 1960s as a depot for coal transportation.  Waters now moved to more modern premises.


View showing where the canal passes under the Wharf (from left to right).  In 1830, you would be standing in the canal from where the photo was taken.


The canal as it passes under the Wharf, joining the "widehole" at the far end.  The canal also passes to the right of the Wharf (as shown) passing under the skew bridge (and again into the widehole).


  

 The warehouse (or office) building, on the right.  Note the iron pulley arm.


   

Hatch above the water.


 

Original Pulley Wheel on the second floor of the Wharf building.  The new roof (and slating) was installed some time in the early 1990s.


Second floor pulley wheel.  Access to the inside of the Wharf is not possible (or recommended, as the floors are rotten!).


First floor pulley wheel.  Note the wooden hand operated brake.

Note also the bat droppings - a large family of bats inhabit the roof sections !

 

 

 


Copyright www.wappenshall.com.